Strange issue: type = "static" is not type = "Static"

Post about the Flash World Construction Kit and the Alchemy port of Box2D.
IstvanOrosi

Strange issue: type = "static" is not type = "Static"

Postby IstvanOrosi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:28 am

First, huge thanks to the developers of Box2D and in this case the Alchemy port and WCK. After a few tests, it seems like I'll able to have the type of features for some of my games that I only dreamed of. Actually, I have managed to write some decent engines but there were a few things here and there that limited their full potential. A few years ago when physics based Flash games became popular I found Box2D but many games' performance was really CPU intensive and I decided to stick with my engines. But those extra features kept "bugging" me. :lol: So I decided to look into Box2D again and found WCK that seems to perform a bit better compared to the other Flash port. So far everything is going well and I think I'll be able to have the extra features that I want.

As I mentioned in another post, I wanted to see if instead of drag and drop in WCK, I would be able to create the engine mainly with code. After some trial and errors it seems like it can be done. There were some :roll: moments but for the most part I'm :D :D :D :D

The strange issue that I came across.
In the specific object class .as file if I use:
type = "Static" DOESN'T WORK. After half an hour of searching and perhaps a lucky "guess":
type = "static" WORKS. This is really strange because, in the Component Inspector (Flash CS4), type is written as "Static". Also, in some WCK posts I think I saw it as: type = "Static" or object.type = "Static".

Then, when I wanted to make the object dynamic during run time, figuring out that
type = "dynamic" should be
type = "Dynamic" only took a minute :D

Haven't tested the Animated, Kinematic properties yet.

I'm using Flash CS4 and just downloaded WCK from https://github.com/jesses/wck yesterday.

IstvanOrosi

Re: Strange issue: type = "static" is not type = "Static"

Postby IstvanOrosi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 am

[UPDATE]
I'm not sure what is going on. Yesterday, when I used "Static", there were no error messages and the object didn't show up. Today, it seem to work fine with both "static" and "Static" :shock:

However, dynamic still has to be "Dynamic". "dynamic" still doesn't work.

Return to “WCK”