Box2D Forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 pm 

Hi,

I would like to report an issue that is happening in my tile-based game. First, please have a look at following topics (that I looked into before going to post this) and you will understand what I mean:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3292
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3069
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3048
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3456
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4134

Ok now let me tell you that this bug WAS FIXED once! :D. Here is what I did to track the issue (sorry for my no internal knowledge of Box2D :oops: ):

1) I started to use Box2D after downloading 2.0.1 version (http://sourceforge.net/projects/box2d/f ... p/download) the bug was there.

2) Before I started to get annoyed, someone suggested me to update to latest (trunk) on SourceForge (the latest one there, right now). I did that and noticed that bug was FIXED. I was happy unless I received README_FIRST.txt that said to move Google Code.

2) I moved to Google Code (latest revision: 36) and bug again welcomed me there :twisted:

3) I further tracked down SVN revisions (on Google Code) and found this was re-introduced in revision 5 (for b2World.cpp). Here is code responsible :shock: to re-introduce the bug:
Revision 4: b2World.cpp: Line: 630-ish
Code:
      if ((minContact->m_flags & b2Contact::e_touchFlag) == 0)
      {
         // This shouldn't happen. Numerical error?
         //b2Assert(false);
         continue;
      }

in Revision 5, it got changed to:
Code:
      // Is the contact solid?
      if (minContact->IsSolid() == false || minContact->IsTouching() == false)
      {
         // Restore the sweeps.
         b1->m_sweep = backup1;
         b2->m_sweep = backup2;
         b1->SynchronizeTransform();
         b2->SynchronizeTransform();
         continue;
      }

(do a diff of b2World.cpp to see this change)

I know the code is not here to just introduce the bug ;) but it should have been here to handle some other cases etc.

I further noticed that changing "continue" to "break" in above revision 5 code, then the bug disappears (but I don't know the consequences of this on other things).

Then up to revision 31, this code segment stay here and after revision 32 everything get changed and I was lost to have a fix :D . Basically I just tried to track the cause, not root.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:54 am 
Site Admin

So you have some static boxes that are perfectly aligned and then you want to slide a dynamic box across the junction smoothly? Is that the problem?

To work around this you can:
1. create edge polygons along the border and don't use the static boxes. Merge connected, collinear edges.
2. don't try to slide boxes on this surface.

I suggest you use technique 1. It shouldn't be too much work and you should get good behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:34 am 

Thanks Erin.

Erin Catto wrote:
So you have some static boxes that are perfectly aligned and then you want to slide a dynamic box across the junction smoothly? Is that the problem?

Yes. :)

Erin Catto wrote:
create edge polygons along the border and don't use the static boxes. Merge connected, collinear edges.

I assume you mean converting interconnected boxes to a big polygon (this has been suggested in past topics as well). As far as I know, a polygon has 8 vertices (by default) and I will have to increase this number to create complex polygon, but how much? I think it won't be good to have 200+ vertices per polygon (performance wise ?) as I will have large maps.
And again I am not sure how would this satisfy the need. Here is an example of using polygons for boxes (take each digit as one tile. 0=empty area and 1=polygon-area) so there is one polygon here:
Code:

Above shows there will be a 13 vertex concave polygon. or suppose I separate these into convex ones, the joining points between those polygons will still block sliding. How should I handle this?

On the other hand, polygon solution may not serve best in situations where we need to create/destroy/activate/de-activate or update each tile (its underlying body) individually. Having all of them in one polygon may require regeneration (of polygon(s)) whenever a box has to be updated. Also I want to have some boxes with more restitution and some with less and other properties etc. What about that?

I also have a question why Edge shapes are gone off :?:

Thanks for your time though.
Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 am 

Regarding edge shapes, in the newest version of Box2D you would just use polygons with two vertices.

For large non-convex polygons, yes, you'd have to decompose those into multiple convex polygons. I haven't dealt with the 'sliding across aligned boxes' problem myself, so I can't comment directly on that, but given the scenario you describe it seems that using 'edge' polygons might be a reasonable solution.

As for how best to handle different surface properties and changes in the tile configuration, I think that would depend largely on the details of the application (e.g. how often changes occur, under what circumstances, etc.). It wouldn't be entirely trivial, but I imagine you could construct an algorithm to rebuild and modify edge shapes locally in response to tile additions and removals (if it came down to that).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 am 

Thanks Jesse. I will try with edge polygons.

BTW, as we are talking about workaround the issue. What is, if any, reason to not to classify this as bug/issue and try to fix someway? I have idea that it might hard to fix, that's why it is still there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Admin

You should have edge polygons around the boundary. Since you would be making a series of line segments, the overall shape can be non-convex. Don't bother trying to merge your tiles into larger convex polygons. Just trace the boundary.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:43 pm 

Thanks Erin. I will give it a try this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what causes this bug anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

It is not a bug, unless you expect Box2D to have pixel perfect collision, which it does not. I don't know of any rigid body physics engine that has pixel perfect collision and it probably isn't possible when shapes are allowed to rotate.

Here is a box sitting on two connected, collinear edges. The gap is exaggerated.

Attachment:
temp1.png
temp1.png [ 513 Bytes | Viewed 6295 times ]

Polygons have a skin region that overlap (because collision isn't pixel perfect). So the collision system does not see a smooth surface when the box travels horizontally over the gap.

Attachment:
temp2.png
temp2.png [ 2.6 KiB | Viewed 6295 times ]

If the box is not allowed to rotate (fixed rotation enabled), it will get stuck because you can get a horizontal contact normal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:06 am 

In my pre-Box2D days, I had a rigid AABB engine. I fixed this problem by allowing a certain (extra) amount of lateral translation, if near the wrong side of a corner wrt velocity. I subtracted the magnitude of the translation from the motion of the body, so it was as if the box was slipping around another. Highly non-phsyical, but good for games. By turning up the parameters, it also worked for stairways, tile based games with players the width of 1 tile, etc. Do you think similar detection could be done in Box2D? I'm thinking yes, but I've not had the motivation to try.