Populate dynamic text box in nested MC that's not on frame 1

Discuss issues specific to the Flash/AS3 port of Box2D
cymonesays

Populate dynamic text box in nested MC that's not on frame 1

Postby cymonesays » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:23 pm

OMG somebody, please help!!! I have most of my AS on the main timeline and have these lines in frame #20:

btnTISB.svcHitArea.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,showTISB);
btnTISB.buttonMode = true;
btnTISB.descMC.serviceMainTitle.text = "TIS-B";
btnTISB.descMC.serviceMainText.text = "TIS-B is a surveillance service that derives traffic information from ..blah blah.";

btnFISB.svcHitArea.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,showFISB);
btnFISB.buttonMode = true;
btnFISB.descMC.serviceMainTitle.text = "FIS-B";
btnFISB.descMC.serviceMainText.text = "FIS-B is a service that derives weather information from ..blah blah.";

The btnTISB and btnFISB make their first appearance in frame 20. so all of the functions and Event Listeners
work GREAT. One thing for both button movie clips (and I'll talk only about one, but am refereing to both
buttons and all 4 dynamic text boxes at once since they all live in the same places)...

...the "btnTISB.descMC.serviceMainTitle" (Dynamic Text Box) lives on frame 1 of the movie clip "descMC."
Then, descMC has been placed on frame #10 of btnTISB.

HOW IN GOD'S NAME can I pass text into that dynamic text box? It doesn't work even if I place the descMC onto frame 1 of btnTISB. I've played with moving it to frame 1 and using the .visible = true/false, but that's not working. I've traced btnTISB.descMC.serviceMainTitle.text from the main timeline and the variable comes out as "TIS-B", but I've also traced the result from within the movie clip(s) and the variable doesn't pass into it at all. It just reports the "placeholder" text in the dynamic text box.

I have no hair on my head and am dying to grow some so that I can pull on something :evil:

cymonesays

Re: Populate dynamic text box in nested MC that's not on fra

Postby cymonesays » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 am

My first time posting... I've waited through the weekend. Does it normally take this long to get responses?

irresistible force

Re: Populate dynamic text box in nested MC that's not on fra

Postby irresistible force » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:46 pm

hi cymone
I don't know much about flash, but this doesn't even look like a Box2D question...

Return to “Flash”