I am aware of the spam problem on this forum and I want to squash it ASAP.
- Please provide any suggestions you have for eliminating the spam. I consider manual account activation the last resort. I need a solution that is fairly easy to implement because I'm not an expert at SQL/php.
- If you would like to help as an admin on this board, please send me a pm. I will be checking the number and quality of your posts (we don't want the spammers to become admins).
- I now require the user to activate their account via an email that is sent to them automatically. Only one account per email address is allowed.
- I turned on noise in the the registration image.
- Added custom profile field that requires users to state that they are not spammers.
- I found some good advice on this page: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=1437125
- Thanks to all that volunteered, I think we have enough moderators for now.
- I saw some new spam, but these were from users registered before I improved registration. So we will need to keep on top of the spam for a while yet.
- I haven't seen any new spammer bot registrations in the past 3 weeks.
- I adjusted the custom profile fields, hopefully this fixes the recent problems.